Title Contenders (and then there were two):
(1) Manchester City – 66 pts – Took care of Bolton on Saturday. Nothing to see here.
(2) Manchester United – 64 pts – Made the Spurs look bad on Sunday. Their title hopes are still alive, and they are a lock for top 4 at this point. Will host a happy West Brom this weekend.
Five squads, Two spots (I really hope Arsenal doesn't get third):
(3) Tottenham Hotspur – 53 pts – Another tough loss, which not only effectively ends any title dreams but now puts them at risk to fall out of the top 4. A victory over Everton on Saturday at Goodison Park is absolutely crucial.
(4) Arsenal – 49 pts – RVP for MVP. Where would they be without him? Turned a terrible performance at Anfield into another great result for Gooners everywhere. 3rd place is not out of the question. Another tough test with Newcastle looking to keep their top 4 hopes alive.
(5) Chelsea – 46 pts – …and the AVB era comes to a disastrous end -- a loss to West Brom would do that. Will host Stoke at Stamford Bridge this Saturday, with Di Matteo managing on the fly.
(6) Newcastle United – 44 pts – What a match versus rival Sunderland in the Tyne-Wear Derby. Newcastle lucky to take a point and stay in the running for top 4. A must-win against Arsenal at Emirates on Monday night.
(7) Liverpool – 39 pts – Gut-wrenching loss against the Gunners. Still hold game in hand, but does it matter now? Will go to Sunderland on Saturday, hoping to bounce back.
Mid-table Heartbreakers (Still don't matter):
(8) Fulham – 36 pts – Clint Dempsey continued his spectacular play and has the Cottagers roaring up the standings. Should steamroll a dejected Aston Villa this weekend.
(9) Stoke City – 36 pts – Another grind-out win by Stoke; they will look to add to Chelsea’s current miseries to continue moving up the table.
(10) West Brom Albion – 35 pts –Historic win for the Baggies over Chelsea on Saturday, leading to AVB’s dismissal. A trip to Old Trafford to take on United will test their resolve.
(11) Sunderland – 34 pts – Will take the draw versus Newcastle after going man down. Will host a very desperate Liverpool squad on Saturday.
(12) Norwich City – 35 pts – Couldn’t find the net versus Stoke last week but should be able to take care of Wigan on Sunday.
(13) Everton – 34 pts – What a poor result against QPR after playing so well. Maybe they miss Landycakes too much. Will look to upset the Spurs as Saha comes back to town.
(14) Swansea City – 33 pts – Made the victory against Wigan look easy. Can they add to their scalp collection with a matchup against league-leading Man City on Sunday?
(15) Aston Villa – 30 pts – Another draw against another bad team. Aston Villa is going nowhere fast and will face a red-hot Fulham squad on Saturday. The nightmare continues.
The Danger Zone (You cannot lose to any of these teams right now):
(16) Wolverhampton Wanderers –22 pts – Anytime you give up five goals, you know you are in trouble. Wolves are reeling right now, and a relegation battle with Blackburn this weekend will make things even more interesting.
(17) Queens Park Rangers – 22pts – Took a point against Everton. Another relegation match as they travel to the Reebok to take on a sad Bolton squad.
(18) Blackburn Rovers – 22 pts –Rovers did well to grab a point against Aston Villa. Will travel to face the Wolves on Saturday, and three points would ease the pressure for either team.
(19) Bolton Wanderers – 20 pts –Did well to keep it somewhat close against Man City. Would be nice to win against QPR and get out of the bottom 3.
(20)Wigan Athletic – 20 pts –Swansea was the better team last weekend. Hopefully, Wigan can bounce back against Norwich this week. More than likely, though, they will not.
Last Week’s Record: 4-6 (Can’t believe Liverpool, Tottenham, and Chelsea lost, what chumps...)
Cumulative Record: 4-6
QPR at Bolton – 2-2 – QPR is the better squad, but given it’s an away match, draw. Keep moving.
Fulham at Villa – 3-1 – Dempsey is so hot right now.
Stoke at Chelsea – 0-2 – I have to think that the Blues will respond to AVB’s sacking.
Liverpool at Sunderland – 2-1 – One of those games that you can totally see Liverpool drawing cause they can’t hit the side of a barn, but I will give them benefit of the doubt.
Rovers at Wolves – 3-2 – Relegation battle part deux! I see Yukubu running wild at the Molineux.
Spurs at Everton – 2-1 – Gosh, I really hope the Spurs win, if only for my wife’s sake. I’m much too sad about soccer right now. If anyone is interested and in the NYC area, Caleb and I are watching the match at Floyd NY, the official weekend pub of NYSpurs in Brooklyn this Saturday at 12:30!!
WBA at United – 0-3 – Don’t see WBA getting a result, or much of anything, at Old Trafford.
City at Swansea – 2-1 – Swansea will come out strong at home, but talent will prevail. Will there be a Tevez sighting?!
Newcastle at Arsenal – 2-3 – This week's game of the week once again includes Arsenal. As much as it pains me, I cannot pick against the Gooners right now. RVP will score all five goals.
Photos courtesy of bbc.uk.co and nufcblog.org
Photos courtesy of bbc.uk.co and nufcblog.org